Brian Wallace, President/CEO of the Coin Laundry Association presents a laundry industry update in this brief video.
We would love to hear from you about your policies and procedures regarding your store operations amid the coronavirus pandemic. In talking with our members and industry peers, we have reports that some stores have been lax in employing best practices. We encourage CLA members and store owners in general to continue to adhere to the guidelines including social distancing and of the CDC and other authorities. Keep in mind that the designation of laundromats being essential businesses is not a permanent category, so we must do our best to continue to earn that designation.
Please visit our COVID-19 resource page for information that we’ve curated for you. Take some time this week to review your operation, and we encourage you to take the necessary steps to ensure the health and safety of your employees and customers.CLA COVID-19 Info
Garment Care Labels
The FTC is considering the elimination of the requirement for care labels on garments which the CLA feels is detrimental to the laundry businesses. Brian spoke with the commissioner of the FTC about the need for these labels for the sake of the consumer and for the protection of the businesses who serve them. CLA, ACI, and AHAM submitted formal comments opposing the repeal of the care labeling rule. We hope for the continuation of this requirement, and we aim to promote improvements to care labels to remain up to date with the times.
The Coin Laundry Association shared the results of the recent survey of laundromat owners we conducted with the US Coin Task Force. Among the results of this survey are:
- 2/3rds of laundromats surveyed were affected by the coin shortage
- Up to 35% of owners reported going from an adequate supply of quarters to having a scarcity of coins
- Non-customers visiting the laundromat to make change further impacted the availability of coins
- Only 25% reported that the situation has improved since actions have been taken by the US Treasury to loosen restrictions and increase circulation. Only 17% reported better experiences working with their bank.
- 40% of respondents are looking at alternative payment systems
Learn more about our advocacy efforts:CLA Advocacy Information
Health Insurance Program for CLA Members
The CLA has partnered with LIG to provide a health insurance benefit to members. Members can find details by logging into the members-only resource library. An email was sent 9/23/2020 to all members with a direct link to that page. Look for more information via email.
We have upcoming events for store owners and potential investors:
- Managing and Reducing Your Utilities, October 7, 2-3 p.m.: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2072712868606869264
- Choosing the Right Site for Your Laundromat (sponsored by Prime Capital), October 20, 2-3:30 p.m.: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8977594214193811983
Join CLA Now
If you aren’t a CLA member, now is the best time for you to join. For as low at $27, you can be a full member of the Coin Laundry Association and enjoy the many benefits we have including:
- CLA Business Tools: https://www.coinlaundry.org/membership/benefits/cla-business-solutions/
- CLA Tools & Resources: https://www.coinlaundry.org/membership/benefits/cla-tools-and-resources/
Click below to learn more.View CLA Benefits & Join